Ads 468x60px

Sunday 29 July 2012

Day 2 London 2012 : Team GB wins first Olympic medals

Clockwise from left: Team GB's first medal-winner Lizzie Armitstead, the US and France men's basketball team in action on Sunday and Bongil Gu of Korea (l) and Max Hartung of Germany in the men's individual sabre


Team GB's Lizzie Armitstead won silver in the women's road race, while other events on Sunday included basketball and fencing


Team GB has won its first London 2012 medals, with cyclist Lizzie Armitstead taking silver in the women's road race.

Swimmer Rebecca Adlington has taken bronze in the final of the 400m freestyle.

London 2012 chairman Lord Coe insisted Olympics venues were "stuffed" with sports fans, after a row about empty seats on Saturday.

However, on Sunday empty seats could be seen at several sports, including basketball, volleyball and tennis.

Armitstead, 23, from Otley near Leeds, was beaten to the gold at the end of the 140-kilometre race by Holland's Marianne Vos in a sprint finish on The Mall.

She said: "I'm really, really happy. Maybe later I'll start thinking about that gold, but I'm happy with silver at the moment."

Adlington, 23, who lost her title to Camille Muffat of France, said she was glad she had won a medal at a home games.

"The crowd were just absolutely amazing, this is what I wanted, this is what picks you up, this is what gets you from fourth to third and gets us on that podium. I know so many people wanted me to get the gold and sorry about that, but I tried my absolute hardest, I'm so pleased with that."

Her battle to hold on to her 800m freestyle title will begin with heats on Thursday morning before Friday night's final.

0 comments:

Post a Comment